Tweet Disclosure: we were given complimentary admission to the Houston Symphony Michael Jackson Tribute Concert at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. However, our opinions are our own.
Looking for a quick and easy family vacation? The first leg of our Family Road Trip, the Woodlands ranks as a top Texas town with big heart bustling with world-class shopping, delicious restaurants, family friendly events and nice weather except for the heat wave in July and August. A planned community with beautiful tree-lined neighborhoods, bike paths and waterways galore, multiple pools and golf courses, the Woodlands offers entertainment options for everyone no matter what age or income. You can even get the Texas flavor with the cosmopolitan flair of Houston around the corner. Moreover, proximity to amazing attractions such as the birth place of Texas’ independence at Washington on the Brazos, the Texas Renaissance Fair (one of the largest in the country), the NASA Space Center and The Houston Livestock and Rodeo, makes the Woodlands a wonderful place to visit.
Beautiful View Along the Waterway
One of the highlights of the Woodlands is the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion which features some of the most amazing classical artists and rock bands in the world. The Pavilion also hosts the Houston Symphony for the summer. Our family attended many spectacular concerts at the outdoor pavilion such as Train and the Houston Symphony’s “Bugs Bunny at The Symphony”. However, “the Music of Michael Jackson with the Houston Symphony” ranked as our favorite concert.
We really enjoyed dancing to Billy Jean, Beat It and Thriller with our children. The boys tried not to get too embarrassed by our 80’s moves!
We tried to explain the moon walk, but the best teaching moment was when dad had to just demonstrate it. Celebrating our generation’s music with our children brought back such incredible memories that we vowed to hit the Pavilion again soon!
The Signature Michael Jackson Glove
After the concert, the children enjoyed getting the signatures of the artists on a Michael Jackson Glove! We should get some great memories out of “family dance night” with the fun mementos.
So to help you enjoy the fun at Pavilion, many local hotels offer deals. One of our favorites that provides fantastic deals is the Woodlands Resort and Conference Center because we love its beautiful Forest Oasis pool.
The Forest Oasis at The Woodlands Resort and Country Club
Lodging and Logistics:
- The Woodlands Resort and Conference Center: features the beautiful Forest Oasis pool as shown above and Cannongate golf course. They offer a variety of wonderful weekend packages in combination with golf
- Marriott Courtyard: close to all the activities and one of the nicest Courtyards we have ever seen
- The Hyatt Market Street: in the middle of the hip market street area with amazing shopping
- Dwellable.com: has a full selection of rentals and B&Bs
Family Friendly restaurants:
- Kim Son: offers incredible Asian cuisine and gives the children kiddie friendly chopsticks. Our children love their chicken fried rice
- Goose acres: prepares yummy english pub fare and offers outdoor seating
- Americas: has a fancier menu but is very kiddie friendly in the early evening with its outdoor seating. Late night it turns into a hip night club perfect for an evening out on the town for mom and dad
Americas By the Waterway
After a wonderful family dinner or a concert at the Cynthia Woods Pavilion, you can stroll along the Waterway enjoying the beautiful lights.
The Woodlands Waterway Is Beautiful At Night
- Market Street with high-end shopping, dining, movies and outdoor concerts on the Village green
- The Crawfish festival in end of April complete with redneck talent like the stars from “Duck Dynasty”
- Boat rides and kayaks on the Waterway
- Dosey Doe Cafe operates an amazing music venue with not only country stars but also indie stars like Lisa Loeb and 10,000 Maniacs
Dosey Doe Old Time Exhibit
We started our Family Road Trip with leg one in the Woodlands TX so look out for more posts on our fun vacation adventures.
Finally, we can’t forget our “can you find Pinky photo”? Let us know your hot spots in the Woodlands and Houston? We love to learn!
Family Golf Vacation in Woodlands, TX on Go Girlfriend.com