Skiing at Stratton: A Holiday Tradition is a special trip that our family treasures every year. This December we again hit the slopes at Stratton for our first tracks of the season. We love visiting the resort during the holidays, as its village and quaint shops are always beautifully decorated and feature a variety of exciting holiday sales and events.
The Sushi Bar in Stratton Village
The first night we arrived we met up with friends and really enjoyed a new restaurant, The Sushi Bar. It features yummy dishes that even the little ones will love. After dinner, we just had to continue our tradition of sampling the candy at Mountain Sweets. We also checked out Lole, a new shop that we first discovered at Stratton’s Intrawest sister resort Mont Tremblant. We love their cute and comfy yoga pants.
Family Fun at The Sushi Bar in the Stratton Village
The next morning we all skied hard and then had to hit an old standby, the Waffle Cabin at Stratton Summit gondola. Their delicious waffles never disappoint, and the smell from the kitchen is intoxicating on a cold day.
All over the mountain, we saw major many improvements from our visit last year. Stratton has invested over $7 million for 58 shiny new gondola cabins, which feature rubber-mounted frames for an even smoother ride. Carpeted flip-up seats and exterior ski and snowboard racks create a comfortable carriage for 12 people. With a trip time of less than eight minutes, the Stratton gondola carries 2,400 riders per hour and runs 7,580 feet from the base to the summit of southern Vermont’s highest peak with a vertical rise of 1,742 feet. One of our friends bought an old car as a fun holiday gift for his family. A new tree-house, maybe?
The New Gondola by Hubert Schriebl
New additions to the hill also include two new Blue Square (intermediate) glades. These extend beyond the western boundary, for a total of 125 acres of gladed terrain. Designed for most abilities, the trails here range from the wide open Emerald Forest, which our boys just love, to the tight and technical double-black runs like Squirrel’s Nest. The resort scored an environmental win by investing in 50 high-efficiency, low-energy HKD snow guns, bringing Stratton’s fleet of tower-mounted snow guns to more than 1,000. In addition to boosting firepower, these efficient new HKDs make Stratton’s move from diesel to clean electric compressors complete, saving 60,000 gallons of fuel. These new Stratton additions really appeal because sustainability is such an important feature for us when considering vacation options.
In addition, we are always looking for family ski packages that don’t break the bank. Stratton has a great deal this season: Kids Ski and Stay Free. Kids aged 12 and younger can ski and stay free when two adults purchase a lift and lodging package. For details about this money-saver, click here: Kids Deal.
This season, Stratton is offering the following lodging, dining and special events:
- The resort provides savings in the Online ticket store.
- Stratton also offers a variety of accommodations, from slope-side to the Long Trail House just across the street, complete with an outdoor pool and hot tub.
- Check out Dwellable.com, which also lists family-friendly rentals and B&B options at a reasonable cost.
- Stratton’s marquee event this year is its second annual 24 Hours of Stratton. Get ready for the most fun you’ll have this winter, and it’s all for a great cause! Sign up and join this major fundraising effort, all while enjoying skiing and boarding from dawn to dusk, live bands, event swag, fireworks and more! Participate as an individual or as a team of up to 12 people. This epic event is a fun family carnival for all ages and all abilities.
- The Stratton Fitness and Training Center is a fabulous facility, where you can take yoga classes or swim, as a way to wind down after a day of hard skiing.
With its festive village, cool events and varied terrain, skiing at Stratton is the perfect way to kick off the holiday season.
So book your tickets now and enjoy Skiing at Stratton: A Holiday Tradition!
- The Best Early Season Snow at Stratton, VT
- Family Ski Trip to Stratton, VT
- Family Ski Trips to Berkshire East, Charlemont, MA
- Family Ski Trip to Vail
- Family Ski Trip to The Big House Killington